Monthly Archives:March 2019

Tempest on a chess board – Hungary’s Polgar disputes UK’s Short

admin post on March 7th, 2019
Posted in 苏州皮肤管理中心

Short set off a flurry of controversy this month when he told ‘New in Chess’ magazine that men make better chess players than women because they have “different skills”.

深圳夜生活

He later told Sky News that women were better at a number of things, including better verbal skills, but that the gap in chess was “quite large and I believe that’s down to sex differences”.

The world’s most successful female player, now retired, Polgar said her career was proof that Short was wrong.

“When we had equal conditions, I could compete with the best male players in the world, as a woman, with the proper amount of work, determination, talent and fire needed for fighting,” Polgar, 39, told Reuters in an e-mailed response to questions.

Polgar has beaten 10 male world chess champions and, according to the chess database chessgames苏州皮肤管理中心,, beat Short eight times while losing three games to him, with five draws.

Looking to defend himself from charges of sexism, Short said the facts spoke for themselves.

“Of the top 100 chess players, 98 are men,” he wrote in a tweet on April 20, adding that that number would rise to 99 when Polgar falls off the list in August.

Polgar has quit competitions to focus on a programme that employs chess as an educational tool. She said that in schools using her “Chess Palace” method, “there is no difference at all between girls and boys when they play against each other”.

When she became a grandmaster at age 15, she was the youngest person to attain that distinction, male or female.

“In thinking, men and women are indeed different, but you can achieve the same goal of thinking differently, fighting in a different style, from a different direction,” she said.

(Reporting by Sandor Peto; Editing by Michael Roddy and Crispian Balmer)

Comments are closed

Maori soldier remembered in teen’s speech

admin post on March 7th, 2019
Posted in 苏州皮肤管理中心

Kurei Papuni’s body was never found at Gallipoli, but the Maori Battalion soldier hasn’t been forgotten.

深圳夜生活

Sixteen-year-old Caitlin Papuni McLellan will pay tribute to her relative who fought and died at Gallipoli when she gives a short speech to the thousands gathered on the peninsula for the dawn service.

Her great-great-great uncle Private Papuni fought in the Maori Contingent and was killed on August 6, 1915, as he headed up the hill to fight for Chunuk Bair.

Standing at the Chunuk Bair memorial site, Caitlin said she had walked up the ridge he walked up and saw where he would have passed away.

“It’s really hard, but it’s an honour to be able to walk in his footsteps,” the Opotiki College head girl told NZ Newswire on Wednesday.

“Although it’s pretty sad, it’s awesome to know that he’s lying in such a beautiful country and that they’re so well looked after here.”

Caitlin scored the opportunity to speak in front of the 10,000 attendees at Anzac Commemorative Site by winning the nationwide Cyril Bassett VC Speech Competition.

She only found out that her relative had fought about 10 days out from the regional competition, and researched her fallen relative by talking to whanau and following the family tree.

“[In my speech] I talk about his journey and his medallion and his medals that were hanging on the wall of my mum’s home and how she never knew about it because no one talked about the taonga. So it’s about that journey and unveiling what the taonga mean and who it was for.”

When asked how she felt about presenting her speech, she said it had been an emotional journey: “It’s all starting to build up and the nerves are there, but it’s an honour to be able to present my speech.”

Caitlin’s parents have flown to Turkey and have been pleading with the government to give them tickets for the event – but Caitlin wasn’t willing to comment on her parents’ bid to see her speak.

The annual speech competition is in its fifth year, and was established as a tribute to Cyril Bassett, the only New Zealander at Gallipoli to be awarded the Victoria Cross.

Comments are closed

FIFA and UEFA threaten Greece with suspension over new law

admin post on March 7th, 2019
Posted in 苏州皮肤管理中心

Following continuous problems with crowd trouble, the Greek government has put together a new set of regulations in an attempt to crack down on violence at sports events.

深圳夜生活

FIFA and UEFA have strict rules aimed at protecting member federations’ independence in running their own affairs and sent a joint letter to EPO president Giorgos Girtzikis warning that it “would have no option but to refer the case to the relevant bodies for immediate sanctions, including the suspension of the Hellenic Football Federation (EPO).”

The bill, entitled “Measures for the confrontation of violence in Greek sports and other provisions”, will be initially reviewed by the Cultural Affairs Committee from April 27-30 and then discussed in parliament on May 4-5.

Stavros Kontonis, Deputy Minister for Education, Culture and Religious Affairs, criticised FIFA and UEFA in a strongly worded media statement, accusing both governing bodies of showing little interest in helping solve the issues of violence which have caused matches in Greece to be suspended three times just this season.

“It appears that they are not interested in solving the evils plaguing Greek football, but are instead seeking ways to offend the Greek constitutional order and the Greek people, especially the country’s football fans, which have to put up with the current scene of rot and corruption, something which the government is trying to overturn,” Kontonis said.

Kontonis has invited FIFA and UEFA to Athens ahead of the planned three-day discussion of the bill.

“We hope that both federations understand the serious, accumulating problems of Greek football and that they will engage constructively and actively in the process of consolidation, democratisation and transparency,” he added.

(editing by Justin Palmer)

Comments are closed

Juventus do perfect Italian job to knock out Monaco

admin post on March 7th, 2019
Posted in 苏州皮肤管理中心

Juve, the first Italian team to reach the last four of Europe’s premier club competition since Inter Milan in 2010, were under the cosh throughout.

深圳夜生活

Chances were scarce, however and the visitors held firm against a Monaco side, who lacked the experience and cutting edge to overturn the deficit from the quarter-final, first leg.

The hosts, who eliminated Arsenal in the previous round, dominated possession and Geoffrey Kondogbia was a big influence in midfield but Leonardo Jardim’s side did not have the guile to penetrate Juve’s massed defensive ranks.

It was a case of youth versus experience as Juventus’s Andrea Pirlo and Patrice Evra had 30 more Champions League appearances than the whole home side’s starting team and Monaco’s lack of nous was exposed as the match wore on.

“We went through thanks to our desire to sacrifice, to fight, to reach our goal,” Juventus keeper Gianluigi Buffon told BeIN Sport.

“I think Juve deserved their qualification. Maybe not for today’s game but for that mindset.”

Monaco were well on top in the early stages and Kondogbia hit a fierce 20-metre strike that flew just over the bar, while Bernardo Silva’s low cross was almost deflected into his own net by Andrea Barzagli in the 15th minute.

Kondogbia continued to shine in midfield and had another chance but shot straight at Juve keeper Gianluigi Buffon, before the visitors, who were without injured midfielder Paul Pogba, began to wake from their slow start as the match wore on.

They nearly found a way through when Pirlo’s pass looked bound for Stephan Lichtsteiner on the edge of the box before Danijel Subasic snatched the chance away from him.

Juventus began to look increasingly fragile on the left side of their defence and Chilean midfielder Arturo Vidal was lucky not to concede a penalty when he appeared to bring Kondogbia down in the box, but referee William Collum waved play on.

Jardim replaced midfielder Jeremy Toulalan with Dimitar Berbatov at halftime and added fresh blood up front by switching Anthony Martial with Valere Germain 14 minutes form time, but it failed to unsettle Juventus, who saw the game out comfortably.

The last time Juventus reached the last four they went on to make the final in 2003, before losing to AC Milan on penalties.

(Writing by Julien Pretot; Editing by Toby Davis)

Comments are closed

Blues overhaul team to face Crusaders

admin post on March 7th, 2019
Posted in 苏州皮肤管理中心

The revolving door at the Blues has flung four All Blacks out of their team to face the Crusaders but swung another five back in.

深圳夜生活

Coach John Kirwan has made eight changes to the starting side beaten 30-24 by the Highlanders last weekend, their eighth loss from nine Super Rugby games which leaves them in 14th place.

He is resting the influential pair of fullback Charles Piutau and No.8 Jerome Kaino from Saturday’s game in Christchurch following heavy workloads for both All Blacks.

Captain Kaino has started all but one game while Piutau has shone in playing nearly every minute of the team’s disappointing campaign.

Lolagi Visinia replaces Piutau, having overcome a head knock, while All Blacks forward Steven Luatua will wear No.8.

Two other changes in the backs see former All Blacks Francis Saili and Jimmy Cowan return at centre and halfback in place of the injured Pita Ahki (Achilles) and Jamison Gibson-Park.

Hayden Triggs replaces Test lock Patrick Tuipulotu, who has suffered a leg injury which will sideline him for an estimated two weeks.

There is a complete overhaul of the front row, where veterans Tony Woodcock, Keven Mealamu and Charlie Faumuina, boasting 260 Test caps between them, replace Angus Ta’avao, James Parsons and Ofa Tu’ungafasi.

Former captain Mealamu will be skipper against a Crusaders team they haven’t beaten in Christchurch since 2004.

Blues: Lolagi Visinia, Frank Halai, Francis Saili, George Moala, Melani Nanai, Dan Bowden, Jimmy Cowan, Steven Luatua, Brendon O’Connor, Akira Ioane, Hayden Triggs, Josh Bekhuis, Charlie Faumuina, Keven Mealamu (capt), Tony Woodcock. Reserves: Matt Moulds, Ofa Tu’ungafasi, Angus Ta’avao, Culum Retallick, Blake Gibson, Jamison Gibson-Park, Ihaia West, Tevita Li.

Comments are closed