Gallipoli secured for Anzac services

admin post on August 7th, 2019
Posted in 深圳夜生活

Authorities are talking down the threat of any terrorist attack at the centenary Anzac commemorations in Gallipoli while moving to assure visitors they are fully prepared if anything does go wrong.

南宁桑拿

Australian services director Tim Evans has also dismissed suggestions there could be traffic chaos as more than 10,000 visitors go through security and ticket checks to get onto the Turkish peninsula.

He’s “extremely confident” things will run smoothly.

“We’ve got a well-planned, well-rehearsed process,” Mr Evans said.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott will attend services on the peninsula on Friday and Saturday.

He’ll have two days of meetings in Ankara and Istanbul before that.

The PM is expected to push the Davutoglu government to better control its borders and stop radicalised Australians travelling to Iraq and Syria to fight with Islamic State militants.

Mr Evans says the threat assessment for the Gallipoli commemorations remains “as low as it goes” despite a series of arrests in Australia and the UK linked to an alleged IS-inspired terrorist plot to attack Melbourne services.

The low risk analysis is a joint assessment by Australian and New Zealand agencies.

“The threat assessment for Turkey is medium but the threat security assessment for the (Anzac) event is low,” Mr Evans said.

“Attending the event here in Gallipoli will be one of the safest places in Turkey for Australian and New Zealand visitors.”

Because so many VIPs are attending the 100th anniversary – including Price Charles, his son, Prince Harry, and world leaders, including Mr Abbott – Turkey had already ramped up security compared with previous years.

The Turks will lock down the southern peninsula on Friday for the international and Commonwealth services.

Access to the north of the peninsula, including Anzac Cove, will be tightly controlled on Friday and Saturday for the Australian and New Zealand commemorations.

There’ll be almost 4000 national and paramilitary police and at least 1000 soldiers from Turkey’s 2nd army corps.

Australia has a small number of liaison officers from the Australian Federal Police and similar agencies on the ground.

It’s been reported ASIO, ASIS and special forces have been deployed in recent weeks.

A no-fly zone will be in place, and the Turkish coastguard will use 10 ships to stop all non-naval vessels from approaching the coast.

If anything does go wrong three hospitals are ready to receive casualties. They can be evacuated by helicopter, boat or vehicle.

But officials say the biggest challenge in 2015 is actually traffic management.

There’ll be 10,500 people attending – as opposed to 4400 in 2014 – and they’ll need to pass through a series of gateway roadblocks.

Another big issue is sanitation.

Equipment-wise the event is comparable to putting on a concert in a remote national park.

And that, of course, requires portaloos.

“I always get a bit obsessed about the toilet facilities,” Mr Evans said.

“With 10,500 visitors we have 438 portaloos at about 400 uses per (toilet).

“I think we’ve got it covered.”

Comments are closed

Comments are closed.